Friday, November 27, 2009

Gray Jay #315



My father-in-law and I took my four kids on a birding tour around Cascade Reservoir while the Mrs. did the Black Friday shopping thing.  I have to always plan something fun and exciting for me kids to look forward to on these trips so that I can threaten them with not doing it which holds their complaints about my birding to a minimum.  The plan for this trip was to stop at Gold Fork Hot Springs and swim while it snowed.  We stopped a couple of times on Gold Fork Rd and saw Stellar's Jays and Clark's Nutcrackers.  While I answered mother nature's call a gray bird flew overhead and Lynn called out, "There's a Gray Jay!".  Zipping up as fast as I could I was able to see the Gray Jay for a few moments through my binoculars.  At this stop, we also watched an American Dipper diving into the stream off the ice.  When we go to the hot springs and got into our bathing suits, I was delighted to see Gray and Stellar's Jays flitting over the pools caching away winter food supplies.

No comments: